TIBETAN MASTIFF PUPPIES COLORADO * HOW TO IDENTIFY A GOOD BREEDER
I base my opinions on my direct experiences. This site is an ongoing site which evolves as I learn more. This site is based on my experiences over the past eight years. I don't agree with everybody but what is boils down to me is honesty and how a breeder treats somebody. My reasons for not recommending people are based on what they have done to me. I don't care about them, their dogs, etc. It's all about ripping people off, lying about others to get ahead and taking advantage of unsuspecting people. So I hope this will help you to avoid what I have experienced. Just be wary of those willing to slander others because their "dog businesses" are being threatened.
BUY WHAT YOU LIKE AND I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL YOU ANYTHING, JUST BE CAREFUL.
RECENTLY MANY PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY CAN MAKE A QUICK BUCK HAVE GOTTEN ANY TWO TIBETAN MASTIFFS AND BRED THEM WITHOUT ANY KNOWLEDGE OF THE BREED OR THE BACKGROUND ON THE DOGS THEY BRED. THEY HAVE SET UP WEBSITES AND CALL THEMSELVES SMALL "HOBBY" BREEDERS. THEY DO NOT KNOW THE TEMPERAMENTS OF THEIR LINES, THE HEALTH ISSUES AND AS SUCH, I AM THINKING THEY ARE IN FOR SOME HUGE LIABILITY DOWN THE ROAD. I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING BY ANY MEANS BUT I KNOW MUCH FROM BEING TAKEN BY LONG TIME AKC BREEDRES. I HAVE CO-OWNED DOGS THAT I WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE; KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW ABOUT SOME LINES, THEIR TEMPERAMENTS AND HEALTH PROBLEMS. IT'S A RISK YOU TAKE. THESE "NEWBIES" HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE SETTING THEMSELVES UP FOR OR THEIR NEW PUPPY BUYERS.
I BELIEVE THE AKC IS MUCH LIKE THE MAFIA WHERE YOU HAVE TO "PAY FOR PROTECTION". WHAT DO I MEAN? WELL IT SEEMS TO ME BASED ON MY EXPERIENCES THAT IF YOU DO NOT REGISTER YOUR DOGS WITH AKC THEY CAN BE STOLEN OR WORSE. The AKC publishes your dogs registration numbers if you show them. Anybody can "look up" a dog and "follow them". Can this allow for dogs to be stolen? I ALSO BELIEVE THAT IF YOU DON'T REGISTER "100 PERCENT" OF YOUR DOGS WITH AKC THEY JUST MIGHT SUSPEND AND FINE YOU AS PUNISHMENT OR EVEN ALLOW YOUR DOGS TO BE REGISTERED WITHOUT YOUR SIGNATURE OR PERMISSION. THESE ARE MERELY MY OPINIONS BASED ON WHAT I HAVE SEEN THEM DO. SO YES, I DO BELIEVE THE AKC IS VERY MUCH LIKE THE MAFIA AND I DON'T BELIEVE MANY OF THE PEDIGREES ARE CORRECT. IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO PROVE SINCE THE AKC CONVENIENTLY DOES NOT REQUIRE MICRO CHIP OR DNA BE PLACED ON FILE AS A REQUIREMENT FOR REGISTRATION OR BREEDING. THEY REQUIRE YOU TO PAY THEM MORE MONEY IF YOU QUESTION ANY PEDIGREE! Remember, AKC does not require health testing, micro chip, or DNA profiling so there is no gaurantee of quailty of even if the pedigree is correct.
To avoid all the heartache of these vicious AKC breeders I recommend the following:
1. People will offer you a dog at a reduced price or free in exchange for breeding it and them getting a puppy back. Don't do it! This is called a pyramid scheme. The breeder offers you a puppy at a reduced rate or free in exchange for you breeding the dog and giving them their "pick". You are basically financing their business. You are the one paying for all the vet bills and in the end for all your hard work; they will wind up with the "PICK" without having to pay a dime or do any work.
2. Never buy a puppy with the conditions that you show or breed and owe puppies back.
3. A registered puppy is not a sign of quality or even a guarantee of pedigree.. Why give them the money? If you want to breed the dog, you can just use a different dog's pedigree to register it. People do it, so why pay for it?
4. Be sure to ask the breeder every question he asks you. After all it is your right to "turn the tables" on them.
5. How many dogs do you think somebody came properly socialize? If the breeder goes beyond your threshold take a pass. Remember you are the customer. You have rights.
6. HOW LONG HAVE THEY OWNED TIBETAN MASTIFFS? HOW MANY TIBETAN MASTIFFS HAVE THEY HAD? I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN RECENTLY. SOMEBODY BUYS ANY TWO TIBETAN MASTIFFS AND BREEDS THEM CALLING THEMSELVES A "SMALL HOBBY BREEDER" AND HAVE NO IDEA OF THE HISTORY BEHIND THEIR DOGS. IT'S TEMPERAMENT, IT'S HEALTH ISSUES, ETC. ASK TO SEE THE HEALTH RESULTS OF THEIR DOGS. IT'S EASY TO "ACT" ETHICAL. MICRO CHIPS ARE CHEAP. DID THEY SPEND THE MONEY TO TEST THE SIRE AND DAM BEFORE THE BREEDING? ASK TO SEE THE RESULTS FOR HIP AND ELBOW DYSPLASIA AND THYROID.
7. Remember, Tibetan Mastiffs are not for everyone. They are extremely guardy and require lots of socialization. See how the breeder's dogs are kept. Are they integrated into the family and live in the house. If not, I personally would not recommend buying from them. This is all my personal opinion based on my direct experiences.
8. Make sure the breeder is the owner of both the male and female used in the breeding. If not, speak directly to the person who owns the dogs. ASK TO SPEAK TO THE BREEDER OF THEIR BREEDING STOCK. IF THEY ARE NOT ON GOOD TERMS WITH THEIR BREEDER; IT IS NOT A GOOD SIGN.
9. Based on my personal experiences I have found that people who breed more than one breed of dogs, and have in excess of 10+ dogs are the ones you want to really stay away from. Ask yourself why would anybody want that many dogs? How can they properly socialize them? Finally, it is obvious to me that they are "BREEDING FOR A LIVING". I only know of a few breeders who do this well. They have been in the breed for many, many years. Are they retired? People who breed for a living are desperate to sell the dogs to make their mortgage payments and WILL GO TO ANY LENGHT TO SLANDER ANYBODY WHO IS "PERCEIVED" AS A THREAT TO THOSE SALES! THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO BOUNDRIES.
10. Make sure the hip, elbow and thyroid tests have been done on the breeding couple and DNA on file with a reputable DNA registry. Vetgen is one example.
11. Avoid breeders who breed untested one or two year old breeding pairs.
12. Ask for the names of all previous puppy buyers | co-owners, and call them. If they will only give you those they have "cherry picked" go somewhere else. If they have so many they can't keep track; probably best to pass on that breeder.
13. Many people have had some pretty bad experiences with some "over the top" people who keep data bases and have set up several money making adventures from the breed. I don't recommend or believe a lot of what they are selling or saying. Personally, knowing what I know now; I don't see them as "credible" at all. Just my opinion.
BASED ON MY EXPERIENCES TIBETAN MASTIFFS HAVE TO BE PROPERLY SOCIALIZED. THIS MEANS THAT IF A BREEDER HAS 25+ DOGS THEY SHOULD HAVE SUFFICIENT AREAS TO RUN 'AS A PACK". KEEPTING THEM IN 4X12X5 KENNELS ROW AFTER ROW DAY IN AND DAY OUT IS NOT THE PROPER WAY TO KEEP TIBETAN MASTIFFS.
YOU WON'T SEE CERTAIN PEDIGREES IN MY DOGS FOR A GOOD REASON. IT MEANS I HAVE HAD THEM AND KNOW THE FLAWS. I PREFER TO WAIT UNTIL A DOG IS OLDER SO THAT YOU CAN SEE IF ANY HEALTH ISSUES ARISE.
AND REMEMBER!!!!! FOLLOW THE MONEY $$$$$$$$$$ -
YOU MAY JUST BE PAYING FOR THEIR EXPENSES; NOT THE QUALITY OF PUPPY.
USE YOUR HEART, BUY WHAT YOU LIKE, AND DON'T BE "SNOWED" BY DECEPTIVE PEOPLE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK.
QUOTE: " I DON'T KNOW XXXX, PEOPLE ALWAYS WANT A SALE, A GOOD DEAL, AT THE BARGAIN PRICE! SOME PEOPLE I KNOW HAVE SPENT $50,000.00 PER YEAR (FOR 2 OR 3 YEARS) ON SHOWING THEIR DOG. THAT STUD DOG IS NOT AVAILABLE TO ANYONE BUT THE BEST BITCHES. HE MAY SIRE ONLY 3-5 LETTERS IN HIS LIFETIME. YOU DO THE MATH. 5 LITTERS BY 8 PUPPIES = 40 PUPPIES BREEDER KEEPS 2 OUT OF EACH LITTER, SO 30 PUPPIES INTO $150,000.00= $5000.00 PER PUPPY. SO THE TOP AKC BREEDERS GIVE THEIR PUPPIES AWAY AT THE BARGAIN PRICE OF $5000.00! YET THE $500.00 PUPPY BUYERS SWARM YOU WITH CALLS YET NEVER PUT THEIR MONEY WHERE THERE MOUT IS! YES PUPPY MILLS ABOUND BECAUSE THE VERY PEOPLE COMPLAINING BUY FROM THEM! " UNQUOTE
You may ask yourself, is a tibetan mastiff right for me? This is a very unique breed and their are many plus and minuses to owning one. You should consider all their characteristics before deciding on bringing a tibetan mastiff into your home. It is a 10-15 year comittment! Click on the following link for more information about Tibetan Masiffs and Tibetan Mastiff Puppies.